This course is designed for piano teachers or people who aspire to join the piano teaching profession. Its aim is to enhance piano teachers’ theoretical foundation, teaching quality and performance level. Upon successful completion of the course, students will acquire comprehensive knowledge of Western classical music, raise the performance level and be able to establish a systematic and inspirational teaching method.
Students are required to complete 16 term courses according to the following curriculum:
Harmony I, II
Piano Pedagogy I, II
Music Appreciation: Elements
Music Appreciation: Forms
Western Music History I: the Baroque Period
Western Music History II: the Classical Period
Analysis and Interpretation of the Piano Repertoire I, II
Preparation Class for the ABRSM Grade 8 Theory Examination I, II
Music Appreciation: Genres
Western Music History III: the Romantic Period
Western Music History IV: the Twentieth Century
1. Students possessing the ABRSM Grade 8 Theory Certificate are exempted from the classes “Preparation Class for the ABRSM Grade 8 Theory Examination I, II.”
2. Student having passed the equivalent classes at our Diploma or Certificate Courses will be exempted from such classes.
3. If students completing this Course progress to our Diploma/Certificate Courses, he or she will get exemption of the above classes.
Applicants should possess:
1. Form 5 or Form 6 secondary education or the equivalent; and
2. The ABRSM Grade 8 Piano Certificate or the equivalent; and
3. The ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory Certificate or the equivalent.
Medium of Instruction
Cantonese supplemented with English